Saturday, November 3, 2012

2cool4u: 343i's UNSC and the Death of (Good) Lore


Ok, I'll admit it. I love Halo. Bungie's Halo: Combat Evolved was the first FPS I really ever sank my teeth into (yes, I know, "babby's first FPS," etc.; blame my parents and their rules on video game violence). To this day, I still claim that my life simple would not have been the same without Halo. The friends I've made, the rivals I've gained, and the experiences I had in my teenage years often could be traced back to me sitting slack-jawed in awe during the summer of 2002 as I fought my way through the game's titular ring world.

While the gameplay was nothing short of superb - Goldeneye 64 had created a working formula for console FPS games that Halo: CE perfected - my favorite part of the series was its thoroughly well-defined lore, especially in the novels such as Eric Nylund's superb Halo: The Fall of Reach (said novel was passed around so often in my circle of middle school friends that the binding was nearly destroyed). The Covenant seemed vast and truly alien, the Forerunners were shrouded in mystery, the Flood seemed unbeatable and terrifying, and the UNSC, the military arm of humanity, was written as a capable and strategically sound fighting force that was only being pushed back through attrition and due to a technological gap with the Covenant that was bordering on the extreme. Of the major players in the universe, the UNSC was always my favorite.

Oddly enough, it was never the SPARTANs that made me like the UNSC. Rather, it was their portrayal as a whole - the UNSC was structured like a modern military (Marines, Army, Navy), had plausible future technology at its disposal (helloooooo railguns!), and perhaps best of all, was imperfect but still highly competent. Internal conflicts would often pit parts of the UNSC against one another such as Dr. Catherine Halsey and Col. James Ackerson, and the UNSC would often find itself fighting human insurrectionists on their own colonies over political differences. Nonetheless, humanity was shown to be a tenacious and capable opponent. To me, this alone was worth nothing in comparison to what little sci-fi games I had played at the time, where humanity was often seen as hopelessly outclassed by alien invaders. Halo's UNSC represented a plausible, logical evolution for humanity's military in an age of space exploration. It was by no means perfect, but still effective and highly professional.

Look at these badasses. State of the badass art.
And now, in the age of Halo 4, 343 Industries has seen fit to throw that all out the window.



Personally, I blame a large part of this on Karen "Mandalorians" Traviss and Greg "ancient humans" Bear. Neither author's work fits well with the existing Halo canon, with Traviss distorting Dr. Halsey's character from a brilliant scientist willing to go to extremes to save humanity into a mustache twirling villain whose greatest success - the SPARTAN II project and by extension, the Master Chief - saved humanity by pure accident. She also champions the ODSTs as being superior fighters to the SPARTANs (which is flat-out wrong), but I'm not as angry about this because the ODSTs are total badasses and the Halo equivalent of SEALs/Delta/CIA SAD. Bear on the other hand has seen fit to rewrite humanity into an ancient spacefaring race that lost a war against the Forerunners and was "devolved" as punishment...but for some reason is still chosen to be the successor to the Forerunner empire. Not only is it exceptionally stupid, but it flat-out ignores pre-existing canon (i.e., 343 Guilty Spark explicitly explaining that humans are basically Forerunner descendants in Halo 3).

"I'm not saying it was the Forerunners, but..."
While utterly disgusting from a literary standpoint and insulting to Eric Nylund's work (which is more or less the reason "video game fiction" is such a large part of any modern bookstore's sci-fi section), I was ok with ignoring it for a while simply because Bungie had always stated that games overruled the extended universe canon. This sometimes resulted in stories losing a bit of their awe factor, such as the Covenant blitz on Reach, but it did help clear things up when certain questions would be raised as a result of an in-game revelation.

Of course, now that Bungie no longer has complete control of the franchise, 343 Industries can allow as much of the stupidity present in the novels to be present in-game as they like. The biggest casualty thus far, and the reason I'm worried I'll be disappointed on Tuesday, is the image of the UNSC.

Halo 4's UNSC is not the UNSC we know and love from the original games. Their entire design philosophy has appeared to shift from "efficiency-focused, purpose-built" to "rule of cool." Even their new logo reflects this - what was previously a relatively simple silhouette reminiscent of modern military logos is now this:

LOOK AT ALL THOSE STARS, STRIPES, AND EAGLES, MAN. GOD I LOVE AMERICA EARTH.
The rest of the UNSC's design hasn't fared much better. Halo: Reach had a stable of very impressive, canon-friendly armor designs for use in multiplayer. Halo 4...well, see for yourself: For comparison, you'll also find Halo: Reach's armor variants shown below as well.

Halo: Reach armor permutations. Note the clean lines and logical visor placement.

Halo 4 armor permutations. Note the elaborate,  almost-decorative designs.
Halo 3 (not shown) and Halo: Reach had armor designs that always had an explicit purpose such as the EOD "chin fins," which would supposedly redirect blast pressure from explosives to prevent decapitation, or the Operator helmet, which has integrated cameras that likely provide improved thermal/night vision capabilities in the extended universe canon. Halo 4's armor designs seem to almost entirely be designed around aesthetic appeal rather than any in-universe purpose. The uniform design philosophy of its predecessors has been tossed right out the window in the hopes of having a better "cool" factor. This is an art direction decision that appears to have seeped into every part of Halo 4 - from the UNSC Infinity's ridiculous size (numerous small ships would have served its in-universe purpose much better, more reliably, and at a lower cost) to the stripped-down armor of the redesigned Covenant Elites. The result is a setting where everything but the brand-new Promethean race has been made to look like a mockery of their old selves.

Now, before I get crucified for being a nitpicky jerk (I am), let me go on the record as saying that the shifting of the art direction from a focus on logical design to a lens flare-and-dubstep montage-friendly design is something I've seen happen before, and it utterly broke my view of that game's universe as a coherent setting. That game was Mass Effect 3.

While my disgust over Mass Effect 3's ending was enough to make me call it quits on the series right then and there (yes, the extended ending was terrible too and you know it), I did keep an eye on Bioware's work with the game's multiplayer aspect out of morbid curiosity. For those not in the know, Mass Effect 3's multiplayer is considered to be canon and in-universe - the multiplayer battles are fought by players in an attempt to hold key locations previously secured by Commander Shepard. While Mass Effect's armor and weapon designs have gotten progressively worse as the series goes on (why can't I get my old space opera armor back instead of this carbon fiber monstrosity?), nothing could prepare me for this:
SHAMEFUR DISPRAY, BIOWARU
This is the N7 Shadow Infiltrator (such an edgy name!). While Kai Leng and his Phantom buddies were bad enough in the main questline, I always just imagined that the Illusive Man had a hidden weeaboo streak. As it turns out, no, weeaboo fightan sticks samurai swords katanas are, as of Mass Effect 3, somehow an ideal weapon on the battlefield. In a universe where guns shoot particles at a fraction of the speed of light and people can throw you around Vader-style. Riiiiight. The fact is, these weapons had no place in a setting that had originally set out to present itself as a "talky sci-fi," where there were well-thought out, well-explained explanations for pretty much everything short of space magic biotics. The inclusion of space katanas - and, by extension, all the OTHER stupid stuff that didn't make sense in Mass Effect 3 like Volus combatants - utterly destroyed any sort of consistency that the setting may have had, and thus my interest in it.

Of course, this isn't to say that I have no faith in Halo 4. Pre-release reviews have been nothing but glowing (though we all know how reliable reviewers are after Mass Effect 3), and 343i knows exactly how much is riding on this title. It's not a case of "well, if we screw up, it was the last game anyway" like Mass Effect 3 was. However, I am exceptionally concerned - Bioware already ruined one of my favorite franchises for me this year, and seeing 343i fall prey to many of the same mistakes they did is worrisome. Ultimately, though, I can't bring myself to make a statement on the quality of a game like this without playing it, and luckily dedicated fans like myself are starting to speak out about their complaints over Halo's new lore direction. Here's hoping that I'm pleasantly surprised on Tuesday, and these issues all ultimately turn out to be nothing more than temporary missteps.

9 comments:

  1. So this is very interesting. If I'm reading between the lines right, you'd say that aesthetic and fluff rape are so directly symptomatic of the general loss of focus on what makes these games good that it's almost impossible not to see them as inextricable, right? I don't think I've seen anyone really look at it from that perspective before, but I think you're probably right.

    Of course, we'll have to see about Halo 4. After all, these armor designs are mainly for the multiplayer, which has never been particularly deep into the lore territory. Halo multiplayer has always been pretty "rule-of-cool" focused, or so it's seemed to me.

    You know, should just join us in the Touhou fandom. We make our own fluff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the tl;dr way of looking at it, yeah, at least when a game has a significant amount of fluff that can be considered a comprehensive universe. Stuff like Gears of War doesn't really look like it fits that description, but it does, so suddenly shifting gears there (no pun intended) would raise red flags. Stuff like Call of Duty? Not so much. You can see it happening with Battlefield 3 right now though, namely in the shifting of the target audience. It used to be PC gamers who loved BF2's serious take on combined arms warfare, but it's since shifted to lol so randum XD gamers who do nothing but ape birgirpall and want more tools to do that (read: the crossbow in Battlefield 3: Aftermath).

    I'd be less concerned with the armor aesthetic changes in Halo 4 if multiplayer had always been rule-of-cool focused. In Halo 3 it was (hence the silly Hayabusa armor that was basically a glowing neon "I'm 12" sign), but in Reach and Halo 4, your character's armor is consistent and appears in "canon" gameplay. The need for armor designs that fit into the extended universe is now there for consistency's sake. In Halo 4's case, the multiplayer is a war game exercise, so it's ALL canon gameplay in addition to Spartan Ops.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only problem i have with the whole issue with Lore regarding Halo, is that Bungie was still in control of Halo when the Forerunner novels were commissioned, and i believe the same can be said for Glasslands. Not that i'd know the ins and outs, my involvement in Halo extends only to the games and the wiki to find some background info.

    I have faith they can pull it off, however if Halo 5 continues the tradition...there will be some concern.

    Regarding ME3....well, agreed wholeheartedly. I'd like to point out though that the "Not a Phantom" isn't the worst offender, the "Not Kai Leng/Thane" is. I mean seriously, am i meant to believe that ALL N7 Slayer units are incredibly spiritual with regards to their work? Please....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I remember correctly, Bungie basically lost control of Halo the instance Reach came out. It was their last contribution. The rest are new parts commissioned by 343i.

      Delete
  4. While you do make valid points, I just can't see the issue with the severity you see it.

    First of all, the only aspect of the game that lore influences (for the most part) is immersion, which, while important, is just not enough to "ruin" a game, at least when we're talking about very particular aspects of the story (will get there in a bit) and not a complete 360 into the storm drain. This is just my opinion, of course.

    As I said above, think both cases presented concern minute details. Specially on ME3's case, Halo 4's armor permutations are certainly a larger case, but in that one... well, there's nothing but speculation at this point. Not only does it solely concern aesthetics as far as we know - which are, well, the field where the rule of cool should be given the most leeway - but the concern for any other aspect is just that, concern, and in some way, mistrust of 343i (or anything not Bungie, really) based on shallow evidence and a very justifiable love for Bungie. Just because the armor designs were made to please the eye, there's just no reason to believe they'll drop the ball. I just see no reason to associate the two.

    As for ME3, well, there's a reason why katanas, or melee soldiers in general, aren't the main force on the battlefield, and why Phantoms are such a specialized and unique force. And you've stated it. And mass effect powered weaponry and space magic are indeed the tools of the trade for 999,(9s go here) million out of every billion soldiers on the galaxy.
    Who are the others then? Outliers, quite simply. In life and warfare, there will always be those who, by force of operating on a specialized environment or being specialized themselves, fall outside the standards. There was longbow, broadsword and cutlass action in World War 2. Crossbows are still used to this day in niche applications, and don't seem to be going away anytime soon.
    On the case of the N7 Shadow... well, that one is entirely harmless, IMO. What would have been your opinion of it, were the MP class a deserted Phoenix operative akin to the lash boys, instead of a member of N7?

    The Volus issue is the same. While the species as a whole is physically inept, it's hard to believe the fittest of the fittest among them could not receive military training. While turning the Volus into a war-capable species would be outrageous, MP missions are, after all, supposed to be small scale spec ops. And given the existence of Volus biotics, it's doubtful the Turians wouldn't push for at least those few capable to be used in such an environment. I suppose the idea of a species who is unable to raise an army but can raise special forces may be awkward, but I see it as valid.

    Of course, I do understand the "outlier" theory is just one way of rationalizing Bioware's decisions in a way that does not harm coherence, but it makes it no less valid.


    I don't think any of these aspects makes the games 2cool4u. They just make them... cool - those that don't fail at THAT, at least. Of course, all of this is not to say that sole and/or excessive care for how "cool" and "edgy" the game is can't lead to it's failure - it can, it has, and I've seen it. But I just don't think that's the case for either of these.

    Plus... they're futuristic sci-fi shooters. And without any prejudice for coherent storytelling, if they're not going into it with the desire of making some things plain irrational and awesome, well, they may be working in the wrong genre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The point I'm trying to make is that these changes in aesthetic focus are symptomatic of a larger issue, namely an attempt at grabbing the attention of the "I'm SOOO nerdy arrow 2 da nee 2hardcore4u watch my Minecraft zombie montage" crowd. On its own it's jarring from a lore perspective, but more often than not a radical change in art direction like this usually precedes an equally radical change in gameplay and general quality, usually for the worse.

      As for the use of "outlier" weapons, the number of people using a weapon like Jack Churchill (who is the user of both the longsword AND the longbow in your argument) is so exceptionally small it's effectively non-relevant. Such weapons have become even more rare with time, and will continue to do so in the future. Imagine if the Phantoms had done the logical thing and rushed you down with shotguns, Vanguard style. I wouldn't have had any complaints about them then. The lash stuff is equally stupid if only because it clashes very hard with the setting, but that's my personal opinion on that one.

      Finally, futuristic sci-fi shooters do not have to be irrational to be awesome. I'm a huge BattleTech junkie, and while there's a few things that simply don't really make sense, it's still a setting mostly grounded in reality. Everyone does fantastic sci-fi these days (hurr durr gotta look good set to dubstep and lens flare), but nobody seems to want to stick to old school "realistic sci-fi." Then again, this is coming from someone who keeps a copy of "Starship Troopers" on his desk at work, so I'm a little bit biased.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. I did understand your point on the aesthetic changes, but I'm just more... trusting, I guess, and see no reason to sound the alarms just yet.

      And I do mean cutlass, not longsword. I can't exactly remember which instance it was, but there was a Royal Navy boarding where it was used. Anyway, I do know such cases are exceptionally rare, but my point is that they do exist. And the Phantoms can thus be interpreted as a simple exaggeration of that number for dramatic purposes (while still small on the galactic scale).

      And err, you misunderstood me. What I meant was that all futuristic sci-fi shooters must have some elements like that (see: biotics) in order to work, without detriment for a somewhat realistic setting. Of course in what amount those elements should be present is open to discussion.

      Delete
  5. I like your thought process. Ever since I bought Halo 4, I've had this sickening feeling in my gut. Somewhere between the gaudy, bullshit aesthetics and the call of duty gameplay sellout tactics, I feel like I've lost one of my favorite franchises to the mainstream hordes. Even worse, everyone I talk to who has the game praises it like the next coming of christ. I was beginning to think I was the only rational halo player alive! I especially agree with you on the armor comparisons between Reach and Halo 4. Reach helmets look far more plausible as functional UNSC hardware, which makes them look infinitely better to me. You don't know how happy I am to find a like-minded individual.

    ~Mr Classica

    ReplyDelete